Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Making a Logbook Cover

Okay, twist my arm. I have gotten some requests to show how I use the Bind It All machine (I won't mention any names but you can send chocolate), but first I thought I would give you a tutorial on how to make very nice covers for your logbooks since that will be part of the Bind It All process. Yes, you can use a heavy paper for the front and back covers for your logbooks but taking the time to make a heavier cover looks so much nicer and will help your logbooks to last longer.
The supplies that you will need are some decorative paper, cardboard ( I am recycling my cereal and cookie boxes), and your inner pages. I chose 3 x 5 blank note cards so I don't have to cut all those pages. Your cardboard will be cut the same size as your inner pages but your decorative paper should be cut at least 2 inches longer in both directions to allow for overlap. These decorative papers are cut to 5 x 7 inches.

The first step is to adhere your cardboard to the wrong side of the decorative paper. I would recommend using a bookbinding glue, tacky glue, or what I like to use, my trusty booger gun.

Using scissors, trim the corners of the paper at an angle just shy of the corner of your cardboard. Do this on all four corners.

If you look closely you can see that I did not cut right up to the corner of the cardboard. This will allow for your corners to overlap slightly to give you a nice finished look without a gap in the paper to show the cardboard underneath.

Using your glue or tape, run it along the flap on the paper. You will be folding it over onto the cardboard for a nice finished edge.

This is what it will look like once you fold over the flaps of the paper onto the cardboard. As you can see the corners overlap slightly and don't show the cardboard on the edges.

Take a sheet of inner paper and cut the top and side 1/4 inch. You only need to cut one end each. You will need to do two of these, one for the front and one for the back cover of your logbook.

Adhere the inner page to the backside of the cover to conceal the cardboard. You are now finished with your covers for your logbook.

Now you are ready to use your Bind It All to complete your logbook. Check out the next blog post for instructions and techniques.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent...but I'd like to see a step by step with the Bind it All machine (tax refund coming, you know!) :-)

    ReplyDelete